Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Welcome to Iowa: You must be lost

I finally made it to Iowa today.

I'd rather have been in Nebraska.

 Rejected state motto's

In all honesty, Iowa was actually really nice, but without having gone into the cities, it was very similar to Nebraska's landscape and left me a little bored when it came to finding something I wanted to capture.

First thing you see when entering New Hampshire is a liquor store.  First thing you see when entering Iowa is Stoner Drugs.

Naturally, I decided I had to find and travel the first road I came across that was not intended for cars.  The result was I got stuck on some sort of wildlife preserve on a one-way road; I didn't realize this until I was a mile or two in.  It was either keep driving the road until I came out somewhere, or drive in reverse down the 8' wide road that had steep drop-offs into the streams around it.  As I am still living by my motto of No U-Turns. Ever. I drove through it, parking next to every "No Parking. Do Not Stop Vehicle" sign I found.  I should mention that this is where Iowa stood apart from Kansas, Nebraska, and just about every other state I've been in; while there were shotgun shells everywhere, for once none of the road signs were shot to pieces!  Iowans must be a bit more proper.  Or maybe they just have really bad aim.

I saw plenty of wildlife running around, but I was too concerned with getting out of the place to patiently wait to get good shots.  What I did do was wander into the wetlands barefoot (bad idea but I didn't want to get my shoes wet) to get a variety of different shots of how the area was growing in.


This makes my fifth state in the past two weeks.  Speaking of which, another Kansas fact I forgot to mention the other day (which I unfortunately did not get a picture of):

You know you are in Kansas when...
        ...you are filling your tank next to a man pumping gas wearing only a bathrobe, who is standing next to his wife (wearing only her pajamas) who is smoking a cigarette.

 Eh, what the heck, I'll throw in one more...

You know you are in Kansas when...
        ...you are driving behind a twenty-year old GMC truck that is going 35mph in a 55, when it suddenly accelerates to approximately 70mph while swerving towards a flock of turkeys crossing the road, only to slow back to 35 after failing to hit any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment